The most frequent question my clients always ask me is how they can achieve a dewy and plump look to their skin at home. When it comes to achieving a radiant complexion, exfoliation is a key step in your skincare routine. While there are various methods to exfoliate your skin, acid exfoliators have gained immense popularity in recent years. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore what acid exfoliators are, their benefits, how to use them, and the different types available. By the end of this blog post, you’ll be well-informed and ready to incorporate acid exfoliation into your skincare routine.
What Are Acid Exfoliators?
Acid exfoliators are skincare products that use various types of acids to remove dead skin cells from the surface of your skin. These acids work by breaking down the bonds that hold these cells together, revealing fresh, healthy skin underneath. The result is a brighter complexion, improved texture, and reduced signs of aging.
Benefits of Acid Exfoliators
- Smoother Skin Texture: Acid exfoliators help to gently slough off dead skin cells, leading to a smoother, softer complexion.
- Improved Skin Tone: These products can help reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation, dark spots and uneven skin tone.
- Minimized Pores: Acid exfoliation can unclog pores, reducing the likelihood of breakouts and making your pores appear smaller.
- Enhanced Skin Hydration: By removing the barrier of dead skin cells, acid exfoliators allow other skincare products to penetrate more effectively, boosting their efficacy.
- Anti-Aging Benefits: Regular use of acid exfoliators can stimulate collagen production, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
SAM’S RECOMMENDATION: SENSITIVE & DRY SKIN
My recommendation for sensitive skin is Medik8 Press & Glow.
This is a great option if you have sensitive skin as it works gradually so as not to damage your skin’s moisture barrier. It also provides hydration due to its glycerin and 5.5% Gluconolactone content. Aloe vera soothes any irritation and the best part is, there is no tingling sensation associated with most acid exfoliants. Medik8 offer a great sustainability option with this product – buy the full size bottle with a pump for £28 and after it runs out, you can buy the refill for £23. Less plastic equals less waste!
SAM’S RECOMMENDATION: BLEMISH PRONE SKIN
My recommendation for blemish prone skin is the PIXI Clarity Tonic. It’s main active ingredient is Salicylic Acid which is fantastic for cleaning pores and reducing blemishes. Probiotics included in this innovative formula balances and strengthens skin whilst glycolic acid gently exfoliates and clarifies. You can buy it in two sizes – 100ml for £10 and 250ml for £18. Perfect for home and away!
SAM’S RECOMMENDATION: OVERALL GLOW
My recommendation for balanced skin types who desire an overall glow is CHANEL SUBLIMAGE LA LOTION LUMIÈRE EXFOLIANTE. This gel like formula leaves the skin soothed and utterly refreshed. Glycolic acid gives new life to dull skin whilst niacinamide helps to build keratin which is a protein that maintains skin’s health. I love the packaging, it looks stunning in my bathroom! I also love that it is made from glass which enables me to recycle the bottle effectively.
How to Use Acid Exfoliators
- Patch Test: Before using any acid exfoliator, do a patch test to check for sensitivity or allergies.
- Frequency: Start by using acid exfoliators 1-2 times a week and gradually increase the frequency as your skin becomes accustomed.
- Time of Day: Acid exfoliators are typically used in the evening to avoid increased sun sensitivity.
- Apply to Clean Skin: Apply the exfoliator after cleansing your face and before other skincare products.
- Follow with Sunscreen: After morning use, always apply sunscreen to protect your skin from UV damage.
Acid exfoliators are a powerful addition to your skincare routine, helping you achieve a radiant and youthful complexion. When used correctly, they can address a wide range of skin concerns while promoting healthy skin cell turnover. Remember that not all acids are suitable for every skin type, so it’s essential to choose the right one based on your specific needs. Consult with a dermatologist for personalised recommendations and enjoy the transformative effects of acid exfoliation on your skin.